5 People Who Cured Seborrheic Dermatitis with Diet Alone

My brother and I both had seb derm from when we were both around 5-7 years old. We used to just think it was dandruff/dry skin until we were diagnosed in our early teens. It was very depressing to know I had a condition that could not be healed. My wealthy side of my family paid for my brother to go to one of the most expensive doctors you can get in Beverly Hills and the doctor did not prescribe him any medication. He was told to eliminate ALL sugars from his diet, this includes anything that turns into sugar (pasta which I eat ALL the time). My brother did as he was told and cured his seb derm with diet and exercise. For me however, I have much more trouble sticking to the no sugar diet. After reading this entire article, I truly do believe our condition has something to do with your digestive system. When I was a child, I was constipated ALL the time, and was always drinking prune juice to help with it. I also passed out 5 times in my earlier childhood due to dehydration. I am starting tomorrow on the candida diet(because it eliminates sugar) and going to be taking a regular probiotic and working on some time of detox. I will post my results.

I would recommend to check the lactose intolerance first. My experience: after fighting with the condition for most of my adolescent and adult life, in the beginning of this year I let a tissue specimen from my gut be checked (by means of endoscopic procedure) and it showed I have zero lactase level. After applying lactose-free diet I can confirm the symptoms softened (though did not disappear altogether).

Hi Zak,

Thanks for your input.

Personally, disagree with this. Though I do believe that gut issues can at times be the cause of seborrheic dermatitis, the condition seems to be auto immune related. Stress, genetics, infection, overall immunity, and various other factors can play a significant role. As a result pin-pointing a universal cause for everyone seems to be impossible and impractical.

Wish you all the best!

Hi Ross,

Sorry for such a huge delay in getting back to you.
Sebaceous gland activity (oil production) does appear to be a significant contributor to seborrheic dermatitis progression.
However, from my research it is the composition of this sebum (mainly oil) that is the underlying issue.

The BIOM8 Skin Conditioning Oil is simply a blend of oils and Vitamin E. This may temporarily increase the amount of oil present on the skin.

Though I typically hated using most moisturizers as they left my skin feeling greasy. The BIOM8 absorbs quickly and has been a pleasure to use, but this is my experience and the product was created by me. Perhaps your experience may differ.

Hope that helps.
Look forward to hearing how things turn out.
All the best.

Hi Valerie,

My apologize for the huge delay in response.
Sorry to hear that you have had the misfortune of having to deal with seborrheic dermatitis.
Here are a few of the most popular posts on SkinDrone (make sure to check out the comments as there is quite a bit of extra information):

1. My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen 2.0
  2. Nystatin A Potential Seborrheic Dermatitis Treatment
  3. Overview of Seborrheic Dermatitis Face Treatments

Hope that helps.
Best of luck and hope you can find something that works for you!

I am kind of confused, so. i should not eat eggs, bell peppers and remain glueton free? what can I eat besides sour crout and yogart?!!!

wow!!! what foods should I avoid!! this is like a miracle!!! I am sick of my skin

Thankyou , do need help with this problem no control even with steroids valerie…

Let’s get something straight people, Seb derm has absolutely nothing to do with diet, I have proved this, everything in moderation.

Thanks for the great information.

I found cutting all dairy out does definitely help but I will still get flare ups but less often. The flare ups can be controlled simply with salt water. It the only thing that works. It stops the itching and redness in minutes.

I now use a small spray bottle and carry it with me in case my skin gets bad. Just the tiniest amount of dairy hidden in food will set it off.

You couldn’t be more incorrect. It is completely related to diet. Most disorders of the GI tract (which is the epicenter of our immune system), skin, etc. can be treated and usually fixed with a change in your eating habits. Your lack of knowledge of the connection between diet and health is obviously lacking.

How are you results coming along? Is your brother still cured?

What you just said is so far from the truth that im embarrassed for you. Dont listen to this guy.

I have had SD since birth, so think their must be a genetic component. I have read that some skin conditions that involve inflammation and may be linked to an early warning for this other conditions. I use tea tree oil shampoo after Nizoril was taken off the market. It is also migrated to my eyebrows and parts of my face. It was a little manageable, but after a miscarriage it’s worse. I have to use aloe straight from the plant for relief from my burning face. I eat reasonably gluten free (maybe the occasional cheat at birthday parties), I do not drink milk - cheese has never bothered me, drink kombucha, eat veggies from our garden and no beef. This has been throughout my life and it doesn’t matter if I neglect or take care of myself. Washing my hair frequently helps but doesn’t completely cure. I would be happy if it was only a little bit in my scalp. Like I say, the only true relief was ketaconazole shampoo which I can no longer get and I am just at a dead end. I take medication for my thyroid and my skin was initially better but now worse because my cheeks even hurt now.

Hi. Not in my case. I can’t eat chicken skin, but other animal fats are almost ok. Peanuts and eggs are medium level threats to me. Do not play too much stressful video games over long hours in a role.

To some it may has to do with room temperature of between 10 to 16c, colder winter times gives lower immune system. Also I once tried putting on foundation on my face for 7 hours, after I wipe off the make up the rashes are all gone, but at another time it gives more burns on my nose’s area! Playing stressful PC games for long hours also dehydrates my body and the stress if bad for SD, Rosacea and eczema! In summer there would be less SD on my face, but Rosacea are more active, and in the winter both SD and eczema are more active! I just can’t eat chicken skin as it really trigger the SD intensely.

Me too, but also I’ve Rosacea with SD, so sweating is like a curse to me! In the winter I’ve ezema and SD … Hell! It was fun! Thank God for the knowledge! But I’ve not reached the hell gate yet!

I can be a 50 year-old virgin, but no diary is no way! I just let it burn in the past 17 years, now time to buy make up!

Hi,
I’ve also had SD since birth. It has always been in my scalp, ears, and eyelids occasionally. Every time it goes away from a certain spot, it appears in a different one. I became vegan to see if it would get better, but it didn’t. However, I am never going back to eating animal products because I like the way I feel. I have recently found out that legumes (soy, peanuts, beans, lentils…) cause flare ups. Gluten seems to be an issue too.
During summer time, it almost goes away completely. During winter, it gets worst. Same thing if I’m stressed out. I’m going to cut out all legumes and see how it goes. This will be a challenge, being a vegan I feel very deprived by not being able to have legumes.
I am very frustrated and tired of trying to heal my body. I had never heard of anyone who had it since birth like me.
I hope by now you have found a way to make it better. If so, please let me know.