My Seborrheic Dermatitis Skin Regimen

Hi Antoine,

From what I’ve seen so far, they have been researching it quite in-depth. It’s appears that the bacterial/fungal communities can be quite hard to comprehend as a whole system. The interrelation between all of it appears to be the reason. Plus only ~10% of the community appears to be in active at a give time (the rest either dead or dormant), making it hard to really understand the full picture; and this just multiplies the difficulty. This is an interesting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb98ZLluAGw).

Sounds interesting, but I wasn’t able to find too much of his work. Also the skin conductivity concept is new too me. From the majority of my reading, I’m currently at the conclusion that it is directly linked to the sebum composition. And basically the oil rich areas of are skin are unable to properly defend themselves. While, the histamine present appears to simply be a result of the skins reaction to any aggravating microbial/fungal activity in the area.

PS. The ointment is finally ready to go. Just writing more details on how I use it and how it works. So far, I’m the only one that has really used it, so even though it’s been effective for me, its hard to predict how it will work for the majority. If your interested in giving it a try, you can find it at www.biom8.com and use the coupon “skindrone”. It should take $10 off of the order, but shipping from Vancouver, Canada can be expensive.

All the best.

Hi,does anybody know if Lithioderm is available in Australia or can it be imported??
Mark

Hi Michael, congrats to your new ointment. Hope to try it out. Can I purchase it? I’m back to using Elomet this week after my SD and atopic ezcema flare up.

Hi Jamie,
Thanks! Sorry to hear that.
You can find it at www.biom8.com and use the coupon code “skindrone” for $10 off.

All the best.

Hey Michael,

I Just read the Omega and the Skin Chapter, i will read the digestive chapter tomorrow, just before my appointment with the gastroenterologist. After the first reading i can tell that you successfully covered a wide range of aspects that are related to seb derm. The Omega chapter raised my awareness of something that i recently read, an article about the omega 6 omega 3 ratio affirming that for those with “junk” eating habits this ratio is around 50:1. The skin chapter raised many doubts and questions, i would like to have more information, to go further, but i don’t know if going further in your chapter is the case, since when you finished the book the references of the studies are going to be there and i believe that your primary goal is to wright something accessible.

According to what you have written it seems that our sebum is lacking in something that protects it from consumption by foreign bacteria/fungi. That’s why one of the approaches consists in stopping sebum production, that’s why when i apply zinc oxide in the affected areas i wake up with a clear skin, but after some hours some of the redness is back. Zinc oxide is not only anti-fungal, but also dries out skin.

I want to purchase the ointment, but i need to ask a favor, Could you send me as an individual? Not as a company. Brazilian government taxes everything and if you send me as a company a 60% tax over the product may apply. You could send me as a gift with a small letter, saying something like “Hey my friend, this is the new ointment i just made, give it a try.” But of course i’m going to pay for it.

Again, congratulations for all the work, i’m looking forward to test BIOM8. By the way, how did you create this name? What does it mean? Although BIO is quite clear i can’t figure out the whole idea behind BIOM8.

All the best

One thought i forget to mention, would the tingling/itching sensation be a result of the fungi feeding from our sebum? Because normally these sensations are followed by a redness increase .

Hi Antoine,

I would like to know a bit more about the theory of Sudam and also abou “massada pain dermatologique” and “massada crème”, what are these products? What’s the formula? It’s very interesting that he has a reasonable explanation for the fact that some products like Cetaphil and apple cide vinegar work for many SD sufferers.

Could you provide me the link of these studies? I can read a bit of french, studying psychoanalysis made me read many french articles.

All the best

One Last thing, Caprylic acid is a well known natural antifungal, theres a lady in youtube that claims that to keep her SD under control she must take a Caprylic acid before a meal on a daily basis. But what about Decanoic Oil? Why did you ended up with this formula?

I tried to use the coupon to purchase the BIOM8 and it said that “Coupon usage limit has been reached.” It’s my first purchase, how can that be?

Hi Pedro,
Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you found it informative. :slight_smile:
Yeah, the skin chapter didn’t go too deep. However, as you pointed out I was a little afraid to go over board. There will be a seborrheic dermatitis dedicated chapter, which goes a bit further though.

Yeah, from everything I’ve read so far, that is the impression I’m currently under. Most likely it appears to be the fatty acid composition, however it may partially be lack of peptides. Yet again, this 2 may vary from person to person.

No problem regarding the shipping will send it as a gift.

The name was basically a mix up between several words. Bio for the natural aspect, microbiome added the m for the skin health aspect, and the 8 is there because the main component is the caprylic acid which as an 8 carbon fatty acid.

Hopefully it works as well for you as it has for me.

Still don’t have enough information to really explain that tingling/itching sensation. However, it seems to correlate with activity of the sebaceous glands. Not sure if it’s the bacteria activity, or simple the feeling of messed up sebum being secreted. My skin still sometimes get that feeling, but the SD luckily never breaks out and only a bit of redness occurs. However, if you observe healthy people you can typically see the same redness/blushing occur after heavy meals.

Deconoic also goes by the name of capric acid. Capric acid has show posses good anti-fungal potential as well. And specifically it’s very good at fighting candida cultures:

After testing each individually, I found that a combination worked the best for me.
Yeah, I actually consume the stuff too. Not before each meal, but a teaspoon here and there. Perhaps this may be part of why it has been so effective as well. And this is why I’m making the larger quantities available.

Thanks for letting me know.
A setting was improperly configured. Fix it up now. Let me know if you’r still having issues.

Hi Michael

It’s been my understanding that anyone with seb derm should only be using OIL FREE products. I was wondering about that in your product. Could you please list all the ingredients used in it? How does it effect people with acne prone skin?

Thanks so much for all your information.

Hi Sherry,

From everything I’ve been learning so far this way of thinking appears to be flawed. The skin itself relies on specific oils and peptides to naturally defend itself against foreign pathogens. When skin is lacking in either of these, issues can occur. The malassezia has specifically been shown to feed off of oleic acid and several others. However, caprylic acid and decanoic acid have actually have been shown to exhibit good anti-fungal activity against malassezia. Here, is a patent that describes the whole oil thing in a little more detail.

The full ingredients list can be found on the product page. For reference it contains caprylic acid, decanoic acid, and vegetable glycerin. I’m also working on a second formulation with two other ingredients targeted at repairing damaged skin, but haven’t been happy with it yet.

Additionally the skin chapter of the book I’m working on goes into a little more detail on how the skin is supposed to protect itself. You can find the current version of that chapter on Google Drive (https://goo.gl/I3Orti).

In terms of acne, this is a whole different beast as the bacteria responsible for it are different. Will try to look into this in more detail to see how these fatty acids interact with them specifically. But, this formulation is meant to be as simple as possible, so that it can easily be integrated and/or added to peoples existing routines.

Hope that helps. All the best.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply. I think I will give a try to Biom8 Michael but I’m trying some treatment at the moment. Hope it will help. My dermatologist prescribed me Lithioderm 8%. I will try it if my current treatment does not work. I’m applying a cream “Kelual DS”, I try to watch carefully what I eat and I started a Quinton Isotonic treatment. I red some of Quinton’s work. And he cured people by using sea water. I know it can sounds crazy but I want to give it a try.

Pedro for Sudan’s theory and articles I give you some links. I checked again what he said on french forums and apparently for him, Restoraderm, Vineagar and salt water are all electrolitic solution. It makes sense to me especially in line with Quiton’s theory.

Website of Bernard Sudan: http://www.dermiteseborrheique.net/les-traitements-actuels/

Article of Sudan with many links to publication related to SD: http://blogs.mediapart.fr/blog/bernard-sudan/260712/les-coups-tordus-de-la-recherche-en-medecine-1-la-dermite-seborrheiqu

And finally two links towards the products that he recommends to treat SD (I have not tried them):

-http://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B004GUP1CW/ref=pd_aw_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AG49HTK4H02VQ6DCT03

I emailed him. His protocol is: washing your face everyday with “Massada Pain Dermatologique”, let the soap for about two minutes on the skin. Then rince and apply the cream Massada. He also says that it can take from 2-3 days to two weeks to see an improvement.

I hope it can help some of us. I have not tried this yet but I ordered the two products.

Good luck to the community in our fight against this SD. And thank you Michael for this website. It really helps. However I would be happy not to come back one day ?

Antoine

Hi Antoine,

Thanks for all the details. I'm still struggling to find much work from Sudan. The only published stuff I could find was about seborrheic dermatitis and nicotine. However, this connection has been documented by several others as well. Let me know if you come across any specific articles.

As for the protocol, I personally have a different approach. Currently I've stopped washing my face with anything except water. Then apply the a tiny bit of Biom8 and that's it. So far my skin has been absolutely free from SD for about 3-4 weeks. Good skin color has also returned. However, I'm really interested in hearing back from community about this approach (feedback should start coming in the next few weeks).

I strongly believe that part of the issue is the skin not being able to properly synthesis several key fatty acids it requires to maintain a healthy environment. Part of this problem comes from inside and part of it occurs at a genetic level right at the skin. So, even though washing the face may aid in the removal of the malassezia and it's metabolites and result in relief, this approach must be consistently maintained similar to anti-fungal washes. I believe the key for long term remission is repairing the normal functioning of the skin and allowing it to basically catch up with what it needs to be doing. This is being covered in great detail in the book I'm working on.

As for the soap, I've used several similar soaps (dead sea and clay), but all soap I've tested has always stripped my skin and I never managed to sustain any of the results.

The seborrheic dermatitis chapter is almost ready. Will update with a draft copy of it soon.

All the best.

Hi Michaell

I’ve been using Promiseb for years which has very simple ingredients in it and I believe that the Shea butter in it has very beneficial. Sure hope your new product works!!! I look forward to hearing more of your experience with it as time goes by.

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the update. Promiseb looks interesting and the studies behind it show good results. Personally, I don’t think it’s the shea butter that is doing the work. Have tested in a number of formulations when trying to create Biom8, but it didn’t seem to add much benefit. If I had to single any of the ingredients of Promiseb it would likely be the glycyrrhetinic acid for it’s antimicrobial activity. Strange that it requires a prescription though.

The Biom8 is still working really well for me. Still need a bit more time to hear back from others.

All the best.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your biom8 invention with the community.

Can I mix the biom8 oil with oregano oil or tea tree oil?