User's Guide to Treating Seborrheic Dermatitis with Tea Tree Oil

i’ve been dealing with this for a while on my scalp, and am also experiencing hair loss and thinning. i also tried tea tree oil shampoo and it worked at first, but then seemed to start acting as an irritant. i’ve tried t/sal, but it doesn’t seem to do much. for a really long time, i thought it was dandruff due to dry skin, so i tried t/gel, and i think i might try it out again.

(i had a limited supply when i first tried it, as i was living in korea at the time and could only find it when i would visit the US once a year. i thought that korea’s horrible air pollution and terrible water - which causes really dramatic thinning hair in the older population, while younger people have thick luscious hair - might have had something to do with it. i recently moved to oregon where the air is much cleaner, but i’m still experiencing the same issues. that was a bummer to figure out.)

i also read about “sebulex” on webmd and found its generic, sebex, on amazon for $5.04 plus free shipping. i’ll try them separately. i’ll be perfectly fine if the first one i try works and i have to give away the other! i have to say that it’s so nice to see others’ comments and know that others feel what i feel. it’s embarrassing, and i’m happy to see other things to try out! thank you!

Hi! I have been reading into a lot of this as I have had severe dermatitis on my face for six months now. Steroids from doctors have not worked and in fact I believe have worsened my situation. After reading all of the comments and your article, perhaps have you considered Dermodex mites as a possible cause? I have just discovered articles on these and a treatment for them is tea tree oil. However most comments on posts about TTO and dermodex have suggested that the skin responds well to the carrier oil/TTO treatment at first, then as the bacteria mites die off it becomes red again however, eventually levels out and the skin calms down. However the cycle of these little critters can go on for months and results take a long time to set it apparently. Perhaps this is similar to the cases here as these mites affect the skin and scalp. I believe you can get culture tests at doctors to see if the mites are present in large numbers. In fact according to these other articles, everyone carries these mites in their skin glands but if an extreme increase in numbers occurs this is when a skin reaction is caused. I am going to give castor oil/TTO a go and see if it helps.

I am a 49 yr old woman, currently going through menopause. I feel it important to mention the above as I NEVER had problems with sebborheic dermatitis until now. My first experience with s. d. was on my scalp along with hair loss. That said my hair loss is obviously not due to just s.d. alone. I have currently been using tea tree oil and olive oil as a carrier and it has most deffinently and successfully gotten rid of my seborrheic dermatitis. It is now on my face so I will be trying a tea tree water rinse on my face. I don’t claim to know all about essential oils, however tea tree has been a blessing and from here on out will be a staple in my medicine cabinet!! I hope this helps someone that has sebborheic dermatitis as it can be very difficult to get a handle on if not treated promptly.
GOOD LUCK I HOPE IT DOES THE TRICK!!

I’ve used the Tea Tree Oil for the last month and I thought that was the end after 1 years of dermatitis.
Unfortunately, one day I worked in the hot sun and when I came back home my skin became red and inflamed.
Now I want to take a brake of a week or two (I will use all my motivation and strength of will to don’t scratch myself) and then re-try with the tee tree oil.
Anyway … I want resist!!!

Hi Mikaela,

Any update on your castor oil/TTT experiment? About to try the same, starting from scalp and eyebrows tho…

Hi Lynzo,

Thanks for providing the details on your experience. Each single piece of information helps.
Interesting to hear about the shampoo, seems like the active ingredients are sulfur and salicylic acid. Personally, didn’t see much benefit from salicylic acid and sulfur has a really strong odor (kind of a pain for every day use).
However, at this price point it seems like it can’t hurt to give it a try.

For me, this shampoo has really been good:
Andalou Naturals Moisture Rich Shampoo
Haven’t had much issues with dandruff since I started using it.

Additionally, this article may be helpful:
Reversing Seborrheic Dermatitis and Hair Loss
It goes over quite a bit regarding hair loss and seborrheic dermatitis. And some of the research is going into a new scalp formulation I’ve been experimenting with.

How did the sebex shampoo turn out for you?
Wish you all the best!

Very informative article! Tea tree oil is really beneficial to treat any kind of fungal and skin infection. In my opinion tea tree oil is one of the best remedy to treat Seborrheic Dermatitis.

I used it every night for months. No change. Still have seborrheic dermatitis.

I’ve got an absolutely horrid patch of dermatitis across the left ear and the surrounding skin on my face. I have found that Tgel shampoo helps with the flaking and tea tree oil, when used very carefully, helps with the insane need to scratch and pick.

Hello all. I have had a very similar experience. The oil worked wonderfully for few days and today it suddenly stopped to make the difference. Don’t know why as it’s not irritating the skin, just stopped working as if the SD learned how to bypass it. My struggle is on again.

How about using TTO with carrier oil and also using a TTO containing shampoo? Would that be too much?

I’m 44 and just began dealing with this in certain areas of my scalp, as well as just a bit of the skin around my hairline. Since I have healthy waist length hair I have every intention of keeping, my problem was not only how to prevent worsening and possible hair loss, but not destroy my hair in the process.

I did a lot of research, including discussions with my doctor and hairdresser (you really do benefit from biting the bullet and being honest with your stylist - believe me, they’ve seen it all before, if not dealt with it themselves). For my hair care, I use the generic /CVS version of Neutrogena Max Strength T/Sal every 3-4 weeks, with a rubber tipped stiff brush to help work it in and remove any built up spots from the scalp, and only the roots of my hair. Then I follow up with my regular Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and a conditioning mask. The rest of the time, I just use the TTS for my whole head and a light conditioner from the ears down.

Where my doctor came in has by far helped the most, however. I have to insert the usual disclaimer that I myself am not a Healthcare professional and you should talk to one before using any type of supplement, but what he told me (and this made so much sense) is that a huge number of people have immune-compromised skin due to lack of Vitamin D. We work and go to school under fluorescent lights, cover up to prevent skin cancer, and even exercise indoors. He told me to start supplementing with D3, so I did.

In the months since then, I have not only found that the SD is under control, but that my skin overall looks, feels, and is healthier. About a month ago, I had this wild idea to poke holes in the D3 gel caps, and simply rub the oily substance inside onto the area I was still struggling with; my hairline especially around my ears and forehead. It took about 6 of the little sucker to get enough oil to really saturate those areas, and then I slept with it on. I haven’t had a single flake, itch or flare up in those spots since then.

I don’t know how this would work for others, I suppose it could cause an unpleasant reaction to sensitive or damaged skin, but I was in tears of happiness the next morning when I showered and found in the mirror glowing, flake free skin surrounding my face.

Just a few tips on what I discovered in my research and have had good luck with. My hair has not fallen out, thinned…if anything I’d say it’s better, likely from the vitamins as much as anything. I take C and Zinc as well.

These people are talking about a problem with a skin condition!!! And u come on here to correct grammar!?!) Get bent!!! I have read every posting on here and have had no trouble whatsoever until I came across your posting trying to correct grammar like some kind of anal bitch!!! You remind me of my ex girlfriend and guess what there is a reason she is my ex…She is a b***h …!! Much like yourself!!!

Thanks for posting about the vitamin D. I have recently expanded my itching issues to my arms and legs and the vitamin D3 supplement seems to be helping.

I am 54 going through menopause. This is my first time I have had SD first on my scalp in which I scratched to death got a secnodary infection now been trying to heal the area then got SD all over scalp then on my face. OMG it’s been a 4 month night mare. This menopause sucks. I have tried all sorts of stuff naturally got it mostly under control then a flare up here and there. Trying Tea tree this am so hope this will help.

If you do not recommend coconut oil for the skin, what other carrier oil do you think will work.

Ava - my situation with SD is very similar to yours. You may want to try the DHS Zinc shampoo on Amazon. It is pricey, but it really helps. I also use it on my face when needed. Trying to attach the link.

I have just started using tea tree oil mixed with water to try and treat seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and in my ear. It seems to be helping with the itching and flaking but as I said I’ve just started. I try to use it once a day right after my shower. I must say it works better than the expensive prescription I received from the dermatologist!! So I’m hopeful that this might just do the trick. I use pure tea tree oil , a few drops on a cotton pad and then dilute with a few drops of water. Pat it on the areas affected. (this dilution was suggested by my hairstylist)

I just ordered this on Amazon thanks for the link.

Hi, I am middleaged and have suffered from seborrich since age 6. The very best and most easy solution I have ever found, was to apply 100% Aloe Vera solution to affected areas. Its amazing effective, and hereby shared with any who could benefit of this.