Zinc Pyrithione Soap Everything You Need to Know

Have you researched the vanicream z-bar? I see it has stearic acid which also feeds melassazia… I’m trying to find out how much it has versus the amount of pryithione acid

Hi Michael, Thank you so much for this write-up! I wondered if you have personal experience with the second product in your list, DermaHarmony, or what facial cleanser you are using today after some research and experimentation? Thank you again! Kimberly

Please correct your misuse of the contraction"it’s" and the pronoun “its.”

thank you for your research and reporting of this darn condition!
i will be attentive to your comments.
jim

I wonder if latest research in microbiol cleansers like the following will have significance to this condition.

http://www.ibn.a-star.edu.sg/research_project.php?projectid=353

Goodness gracious Wendy. The chap reasearches and writes an extensive article for public benefit and that’s all you can think to comment? Not even a “Thanks for the info…”.

Hi folks. I’m David Addison, the owner of DermaHarmony. I have some thoughts on this review. If anyone has questions about why we use an ingredient or wants to discuss the safety of an ingredient, I’m highly available for such discussions – always.

Pentasodium pentetate (also known as Salt of Pentetic Acid) is a chelating agent used to bind and sequester metal ions. It’s added to help make more suds by overcoming water hardness. If you’re on well water with calcium or other minerals the DermaHarmony soap should function much better than Noble Formula. The Skin Deep database rates this as a safe ingredient. This is very common ingredient in soaps. By weight a bar contains less than 2/10th a percentage of this ingredient. At this level Pentasodium Pentetate is not an irritant.

The titanium dioxide is for aesthetic appearance. We use a non-nano particle titanium dioxide. It is also safe for lips and eyes. The mineral is processed to remove any impurities. Titanium dioxide is harmless and it cannot be absorbed through intact skin.

If you’re not happy with this soap, then try our African Black 2% Pyrithione Zinc Soap (you can find it on Amazon.com if you page down on our products). It’s one of 6 other pyrithione zinc bars that we make that are void of titanium dioxide and Salt of Pentetic Acid. Our African Black Soap base originates in Ghana. Black soap cleanses gently, so it’s ideal for people with SD, rosacea, rashes, dryness and other skin conditions. As a raw ingredient, it has a rich dark brown appearance. Black soap is made from locally harvested African plants such palm, coconut and shea butter. The ingredients are sun-dried and roasted, which is how it gets its deep brown (not black) color. Because Pyrithione Zinc is a fine white powder, our finished bars take on light purple/brown/black color. Ground apricot kernels add a wee bit of texture to aid exfoliation. The African Black soap ingredients super natural: Glycerin, Saphonified Oils (from palm and coconut), Water, Sodium Oleate, Pyrithione Zinc, Shea Butter, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Ground Apricot Kernel, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid.

Noble make a solid product – it would be wrong to say otherwise.

The DermaHarmony bar is an FDA registered OTC drug which means that we’ve jumped thorough more regulatory hoops and safeguards. Our bar costs more to produce and sells for less than Noble Formula. I would have NOT rated the DermaHarmony bar as #2, but that’s personal choice. I’m biased a wee bit.

Hi Kimberly, Thanks for checking-ing and my apologies for the astronomically long respone time. Haven’t actually tried the DermaHarmony formula, but if you’re still searching, it founder/owner of the company has recently chimed in on the conversation and perhaps you may be able to ask him directly.

Myself, have ditched cleansers altogether and have more simply stuck to simple cold water facial rinses instead. Hard to say how applicable such an approach would be if makeup needs removal though. :soap: :slight_smile:

Hi Michael,

Do you know much about the zinc pyrithione soap from clever soap? It’s the only one I can find made in the U.K. and is much cheaper than the others, I just wondered if it’s any good?

Thanks

Hi Sue,

The Vanicream bar looks great and should be added to the master list. Based on the ingredients, would actually put it in first place. Don’t think the stearic acid would cause any issues when combined with zinc pyrithione. The actual cleansing agents used in this bar are currently considered the most gentle/mild options available (similar to Cetaphils cleansing bars).

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Hi Rich,

Overall wouldn’t say it’s much different than the majority of the zinc pyrithione bars available. However, the Vanicream mentioned by Sue earlier in this discussion is likely to be a significantly better choice (due to the better choice of surfactants used).

For reference, here are the ingredients of the Vanicream bar:

sodium cocoyl isethionate, stearic acid, sodium stearate, water, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, paraffin, petrolatum, sorbitol, cetearyl alcohol, propanediol, ceteareth-20, simethicone, glyceryl stearate, PEG-30 stearate, sorbic acid

And it’s currently listed on Amazon.co.uk for £9.95, so perhaps it may be worth a look.

Hope that helps.
All the best.